Nevermore!

Cancer showed up on my doorstep, saying "Surprise!" I said, "What the kitty hell? Get the F&!@$k out of here!"

Monday, January 3, 2011

Neuropathy...the pits. Kindesss of strangers? The rope to pull you out.

My feet suffer from Neuropathy...nerve damage, resulting from chemotherapy. Think of it as Novocaine injected into your feet and the numbness never goes away. You can't feel it when your feet hit steps, you need to watch your feet at all times when walking, and a walker is definitely your best friend, either that or a wheelchair. It's the pits. I can't dance anymore. I used to love to dance in the privacy of my own home while cleaning the apartment, or simply because I love to dance whenever. I can't do that anymore. I have to have help getting into a saddle because my feet have no strength to hold me in the stirrup while I mount. Sucks. However, it could be worse. I could be Neuropathic in my entire legs...and hands. Thankfully, the Universe saw fit to keep my hands immune. I can still type.

Yesterday I needed to go to the store. I had walked with a cane to take my rent to the landlords. By the time I got back to my apartment (the landlords live a block away), I was hurting in my hip. Not sure what happened there, but it may be the lack of balance in the walking. I had to then face going to the store. Albertson's has a call ahead and they will shop for you program. I think I'm going to have to take them up on it.

But...though the Neuropathy is why I'm writing this entry, it's the kindness of strangers I want to focus on. As I used the Albertson's cart to get my items, a kind elderly man assisted me at the check-out counter. Not an employee, a fellow customer. He only had one item and I had the basket on the cart overflowing with groceries to get me through the week. He pulled everything from the basket and put it on the conveyor belt for me...smiling all the time he did so. He then told me to take care of myself and went to take his place in line behind me, patting me on the shoulder as he did so.

Where in the world are the angels of this world? There where you least expect them. No one else bothered. No one else moved out of the way. Everyone else were too wrapped up in their world to even pass me the time of day. This guy? Sent from heaven. I needed a lot of help yesterday as I had tons of things to do and getting on my feet to do them was getting scary. He made it that much more easier for me.

I flooded him with sincere thanks and gratitude. He literally made my day. :)
Folks, pass it on to others when others help you. If we can just cause a dominoes effect of kindness, I wonder what would happen to this world.

Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment